A car accident is one of those things many people never think would happen to them. There are 6 million people involved in car accidents in the United States every year. When involved in an accident, it is natural for you to feel anxious and upset, but it is important to know what needs to be done after an accident so you can stay calm and gain control of the situation. Brett Turnbull, Founder of Turnbull Law Firm, partner at The Law Center shares some steps to follow after an accident.
1. Checking for any signs of injuries and danger at the scene. Safety will always come first. You need to be on the lookout for any signs of injuries and danger after the accident. If there were other people in the car, make sure they are not injured. You need to ensure the surrounding is safe from traffic.
2. Once you have ensured all are okay, the next step will be moving to a safe distance. You can move to the sidewalk while contacting emergency services. If the car engine is still running after the accident, make sure you turn it off. You also need to have your hazard lights on.
3. Contacting the police. You need to contact the police when you are in an accident. There are states that require people involved in an accident to report to the police. When the police get to the scene of the accident, they will try to find as much information as possible. You will be asked for your driving license, registration, and insurance. Before the police officer leaves, make sure you have recorded his/her details. Ensure you have their name, badge number, and contact information.
4. When you are involved in an accident, it is important to exchange your details with the other parties involved. Make sure you get their names, home address, and contact details of the other parties involved in the accident. You need to get important information like car registration, name of the insurance provider, and the policy number.
Another thing you need to find out after the crash is whether the other driver is the owner of that car. You should also remember to note down the make, model, and color of the car. Never sign anything that you are given unless it is from the police or the insurance agent. You should speak to a lawyer who is going to give you legal advice. Working with a lawyer after a Georgia car accident is a great idea because you will have someone with experience and knowledge by your side.
5. Never let emotions run high. You should try your best to keep calm until you know what led to the accident and who is at fault. Your focus needs to be waiting for the police and exchanging personal information. After they arrive, legal representatives and the insurance company is going to take care of the rest.
6. Using your smartphone to take videos and photos of the accident scene including the cars involved. You should try capturing things from different angles so you don’t miss out on important details. It is also important to take photos of the insurance documents, license plate number, and the condition of the car. You should keep the details because they can come in handy when you need evidence.
Once you have taken the photos, you can send them to the insurance provider if there is an application supporting these services. If your insurance provider doesn’t have this option, you will have to wait for the adjuster who will do an assessment of the damage.
7. Keeping a record of what has happened. You should be writing down as much as possible. You also need to have details such as time, location, weather, and road condition. If you have no writing material to use in recording this information, you can just use your smartphone’s notes app.
8. Calling your insurer so they can get started with your claim.
9. Ensuring you are not injured. You should repeat this for the second time so you can be very sure about injuries after the accident. If you happen to have any injury, make sure you get medical attention as soon as possible.