People with a fast lifestyle often ignore their liver until it starts malfunctioning, despite it being one of the body’s largest and most active organs. So, what can you do to protect it? It’s as simple as understanding the importance of this superb organ and making the necessary changes to your health-damaging lifestyle.
Common health issues, such as diabetes, heart ailments, and high blood pressure, can trigger serious liver issues. This article focuses on the various functions that the liver carries out, the importance of a healthy liver, and diseases that spring up due to an unhealthy liver. Lastly, you’ll learn the steps to keep your body’s powerhouse healthy.
Main Functions of a Healthy Liver
The liver, which is both an organ and a gland, helps your body function optimally. You may not be aware, but your liver continuously carries out more than 500 processes that maintain your overall health.
- Produces Bile and Other Important Substances: Bile, a substance made by your liver, aids in converting fats into energy the body can use. The production of bile is also essential for digestion. Albumin, a blood protein, aids in the distribution of fatty acids, hormones, and medicines in your body. Guess which organ produces albumin? Yes, you guessed it right, it is the liver. Your liver also creates other necessary proteins and new blood cells. If the liver fails, the situation can turn grave in no time.
- Processes Bilirubin: The liver aids in the body’s removal of bilirubin, a component of bile. Jaundice, a common condition characterized by the yellowing of the skin and eyes, can transpire from an excess of bilirubin in the body.
- Removes Toxins: Your liver assists in modifying and expelling potentially toxic substances from your body when you consume them, such as alcohol or drugs. The liver cleanses the blood and is our body’s primary filtration apparatus.
- Controls Immune Responses: Your liver contains specialized cells that can locate and eliminate harmful organisms like bacteria, viruses, and other invaders.
- Maintains Glucose Levels: The liver stores carbohydrates and produces glucose from them, giving your blood the necessary glucose. It, alongside the pancreas, also aids in your body’s maintenance of a healthy blood sugar level.
Why Maintaining a Healthy Liver Is So Crucial
Your body ultimately suffers if your liver is overworked or sluggish. Your immune, circulatory, and digestive systems are just a few of the vital functions that fail when your liver health starts to deteriorate. Therefore, the body is healthy when the liver is working. So, it is evident that a heavy-duty organ like the liver needs proper care.
Liver Disease That Can Occur Due to Unhealthy Liver
Undoubtedly, a healthy life depends on having a working liver. But if the liver becomes sluggish, many issues may arise. The various liver conditions include:
- Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: Alcohol abuse leads to alcoholic liver cirrhosis. Those who drink too much alcohol risk harming their liver massively.
- Cholestasis: Cholestasis occurs when your liver’s bile flow is constrained or blocked. Certain medications, hereditary conditions, tumors, and gallstones can contribute to cholestasis.
- Cirrhosis: Your liver starts to harden as a result of scar tissue. Cirrhosis is frequently brought on by excessive alcohol consumption and viruses like hepatitis. The disease can also result from diabetes, immune system issues, and genetic disorders.
- Hepatitis: Hepatitis is the term used to describe any condition related to liver inflammation. Hepatitis of various types can result in liver cancer, liver failure, and other potentially fatal conditions.
- Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: This condition arises when the liver has high-fat deposits. The buildups prevent your liver from operating normally and cleansing your body of toxins.
- Liver Cancer: Nearly all liver conditions can lead to liver cancer. In its advanced stages, liver cancer is life-threatening and difficult to treat. The most severe type of liver scarring, cirrhosis, is where most liver cancers start. Thus, maintaining good liver health and getting regular screenings are crucial.
How Can You Boost Your Liver Health?
Here are some actions you can perform to promote healthy liver function.
- Adjust Your Lifestyle: You can embrace these simple lifestyle changes to maintain a healthy liver and lower your risk of developing liver disease.
- Wash your hands frequently, especially before eating, after using the restroom, and when you touch a pet.
- Never share toothbrushes, razors, towels, or other personal items.
- Limit your alcohol consumption.
- Be cautious when taking prescription drugs. Always discuss your medication regimen with your doctor, including any over-the-counter (OTC) medications.
- Adopt a nutrient-rich plant-based diet that is also rich in antioxidants.
- Natural Liver Supplements: Your health may suffer significantly if your liver is not functioning smoothly. Fatigue, nausea, fullness, itchiness, edema (swelling in legs and abdomen), and mental fog are all signs of a sick liver. Like food, supplements strengthen the body and encourage the healthy functioning of the liver. Here are a few natural ingredients that support the organ:
- Milk Thistle
- Artichoke Leaf
- Turmeric Root
- Dandelion Root
- Specialized Liver Supplement: Investing in highly specialized liver supplements is necessary if you hope to give your liver the boost it requires. The tried-and-true supplement, Liver Health Formula by PureHealth Research, includes all of the natural ingredients mentioned above in addition to BioPerine, silymarin (from milk thistle), artichoke extract, l-cysteine, glycine, and vitamin D3. With the help of the liver-supportive ingredients in the unique Liver Health Formula, you can increase your energy, get rid of mental fog, improve digestion, and achieve better liver health.
Act Before It’s Too Late
One must not take the liver’s wellness for granted. Even though we have improved testing facilities, modern medicines, and advanced knowledge of treating ailments, severe liver disease can still cause death. Therefore, the best treatment is always prevention.
Simple changes to one’s way of life can have a massive impact. Additionally, using trustworthy supplements like Liver Health Formula is an absolute game-changer. It’s best to take preventative measures because liver issues in their nascent stage frequently go unnoticed. Start giving your liver the nutrients it needs to stay healthy. It’s the least you can do to keep your body, mind, and soul in good shape!